Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Last Day of Summer

Wow. I don't know about you but this summer flew by. I can't get it into my head that in 2 days I can't sleep in until 10, I can't do things during the day, and I can't stay out really late at night because I report to school. Eeeeeek! I can't seem to wrap my finger around it.

Usually, by this time, I've been left alone by myself all day so often that I'm ready for school. I'm excited to buy my new things for class, I'm ready to see what my teachers are going to be like, and I'm thrilled to know that daily occurances with my friends are just around the corner. But this year, since I was gone for so long and I was having so much fun, I don't want it to end yet. I loved this summer probably most of all. But, alas, school must start again. The education cycle begins. You start strong, get burned out around Christmas, take a break for a while, then start fresh in the new year. Then you have to go all the way until easter to get a decent sized break, and then summer time is just a block away. It's amazing how the years go in and out when you are concentrating on schooling.

Plus, what I posted earlier was not all of my summer anyways. I got home from Boston on the Fourth of August, and reported to Youth Conference (Trek) on the Eighth. I had so much fun at Trek, 2007. But here's the deal- at first I totally hated it. I didn't want to pull a handcart up a mountain only to come back down it again. It was worthless to me! I didn't really start getting into it until our Stake Presidency held a women's pull. It was so blasted hard! But we did it. We worked together "As Sisters in Zion" and we accomplished this without the help of our men. After we pulled it down and up these steep hills, we all came together and hugged and cried and all of that womanly jazz. I wasn't going to cry- I didn't feel like I needed to- until I saw Wilenys bawling her eyes out. That was a touching moment. Then I thought about it. This whole experience is for touching moments, not just really hard nothingness. If my heart wasn't in the work, it was worthless. For the rest of the time, I had a really strong attitude, and my family and I sang songs the rest of the time. It was so much fun! I loved it. That's what made trek so memorable. I worked at having fun, and so I did! The last day was the hardest, but I had the most fun. 2 carts broke from the strain of the mountain, but I was singing with my family. There was a dead cow carcass on the side of the road. It was gross because you could totally tell it was a cow, but it's spine was all eaten at so the bones were sticking out and stuff. It smelled... lovely. But I still had fun! People could have died by falling over the cliff because the road was so narrow, but no one did! It was an adrenaline rush for me thinking, "Hmmm... if I step a little weird, I could fall off this cliff right next to me," so I enjoyed it. I'm totally an adrenaline junkie so it was cool. Anyways, moral of the story is: make yourself have fun. Even if you're pretending for a while, you'll catch on and relax and have fun. Giddy up!

Alrighty then. I'm pretty much finished for now, and so I'd like to leave you with this quote from Cool Runnings. It's totally irrelevant to everything I've been talking about, but it's a good one.
This is the part where Coach is talking about his Gold medals, and I think it applies to anything in our lives. "If you aren't enough without it, then you will never be enough with it." No thinking "If I just had this one thing, I could be really happy." But you won't!! You'll just want more. Think about it, and it makes sense.

No comments: